- Q1.What kind of products can you make?
- Basic skincare product, makeup cosmetics, hair care products, fragrance, and quasi-drug. We deliver original and creative products with high added values using out research know-how developed from 130years of history in cosmetic research and development.
Click here for product lines.
- Q2.Will you give us advises on planning products and marketing?
- After understanding the wishes your company have, we will propose product with concept that suits your target. We could also undertake the marketing research at our company if needed
- Q3.What should I do with the design?
- We will propose you with design ideas for everything, brand name, logo, container, to packaging. If you already have your own design, those can be applied as well.
- Q4.From how many lots can I make an order?
- When we are supplying you using container printed in original design, we accept orders from 3000 products.
- Q5.How much those it cost?
- It depends on the formula, design, and the amount of lots of the product but we will submit an estimate after applying your needs. We could also propose formula and designs accordingly to your budget and how many you want to make.
- Q6.How much does it cost for developing products?
- We basically do not charge for trial product. We will submit a estimate for designs and plate cost and such beforehand.
- Q7.How long does it take for products to be developed?
- It takes minimum two months after receiving a purchase order in order to carefully examine the stability, safety, and container. For those who are in a hurry, please look at our Formula Library.
※For quasi-drug product, additional time for the Pharmaceutical application.
- Q8.How long does it take for the trial product?
- It depends on the content of the order but it takes about two to three weeks.
- Q9.Can you formulate ingredients of my desire?
- We develop products with all original formula so as long as we confirm the safety and stability, it is possible to formulate ingredients of your choice. When the ingredients are not yet registered as a cosmetic material, we are capable of supporting you with INCI registration and also developing raw materials from zero.
- Q10.Can we export products to overseas?
- We have a team constructed mainly with our staff from other countries who specialize in operating for overseas matters with great exporting experiences. Taking the EU, China, ASEAN rules into consideration, we are able to develop formulation and create paper works needed for applying for overseas.
- Q11.Are market and lot necessary for ordering samples?
- When we receive a sample order, our person in charge will give you a call. In order for the discussion over the phone go smoothly, we are asking our customers to have those details written down as prior information in advance.
- Q1.What is “Law of securing the quality, effectiveness, and safety of medicine and medical equipments” (shorten as Law of medicine and medical equipment (Previous：The Pharmaceutical Affairs Law）?
The purpose of the “Law of securing the quality, effectiveness, and safety of medicine and medical equipments” (shorten as Law of medicine and medical equipment (Previous：The Pharmaceutical Affairs Law） is to ensure its safety and effectiveness of mainly 4 items “pharmaceutical products” “quasi-drug product” “cosmetics” and “medical instrument”. Object commodity have to pass this regulation. Main big articles are ①required condition of “manufacturer and seller”② setting ingredients to ban using, can be used under certain regulation ③ articles that need to be written on cosmetic container, packaging, box, and on instruction ④ banning extravagant advertisement ⑤ reporting duty when side effect are seen.
Our company belongs to Japan Cosmetic Industry Association which is an association constructed by 3 cosmetic industrial group run by manufacturer and seller. We are making an effort to deliver safe cosmetics by having an accurate understanding about regulations regarding cosmetics.
In addition, we have a specialized staff stationed who also teaches at seminars held by the West-Japan Cosmetic Industry Association. We will be happy to support you with corresponding methods.
- Q2.What is “quasi-drug product”?
- “Quasi-drug products” are defined as “Products that include milder effect than regular drugs, but include active ingredients that have been approved by the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare” in the “Law of securing the quality, effectiveness, and safety of medicine and medical equipments” (shorten as Law of medicine and medical equipment (Previous：The Pharmaceutical Affairs Law）
To be more specific, medicinal cosmetics such as hair growing external preparation that prevent hair fall outs and hair restoration, solid soup that contain sterilizing effect which acts to prevent acne, serum that contain whitening ingredients that prevents discoloration and freckles. Dusting powder and bath additive that prevent heat rash and inflammation, external preparation that prevents body and aural odor, hair coloring external preparation such as hair dye, bleach are included.
In case of quasi-product, active ingredients that are approved by the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare can state effects that is not allowed in by labeling as “medicinal”. Pharmaceutical application is required for quasi-drug products prior to be manufactured and sold. It takes about 6 to 8 months to be judged at the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare after data analysis and application form is completed. In addition, because the efficacy, stability, and safety of ingredients are under strict management by the government, there are ingredients that cannot be formulated and ingredients that doesn’t have previous instant at the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, it might take much longer time for application. For OEM cosmetics, the application will be submitted by our company.
- Q3.What are “Manufacturer-sellers” and ”seller”?
- “Manufacture-sellers” is a license that is required for circulating in the market (sell). Upon the law of “Law of securing the quality, effectiveness, and safety of medicine and medical equipments” (shorten as Law of medicine and medical equipment (Previous：The Pharmaceutical Affairs Law） people cannot manufacture or sell cosmetics and quasi-drug products without acquiring approval as “manufacturer”, however, in case of OEM business, the client don’t necessary have to apply for the “manufacturer” license. Cosmetec Japan is licensed as a “manufacturing-seller” for cosmetics and quasi-drug products. Therefore, we will be in responsible for manufacturing and delivering your products as your “manufacturer-seller”. The company name of our clients will be labeled on the product.
- Q4.What information have to be labeled on the packaging and cosmetic box?
“Labeling” are texts that are stated directly on the packaging, box that contain the product, and on attached documents in order to explain what kind of product each cosmetics and quasi-drug products are to consumers which provide accurate information without exaggerating nor being misleading. Contents that should be labeled are set by law as obligation. These texts have to be printed directly onto the packaging of the product. Also, when there is a box for the product to be put in and the texts that are printed on the packaging cannot easily be seen through the box, the texts with same contents have to be stated outside of the box as well.
Stated labels for cosmetics by the Pharmaceutical Affairs Law are for example,
- Name of manufacturer-seller and its address.
- Brand name.
- Manufacturer's serial number or manufacturing code.
- All ingredients.
- Weight/volume or number of articles.
- Consumption expiration date (Except for products that are safe and stable for more than 3 years)
- Name of the type of product (when it is unclear only by the brand name)
- Precautions when using and handling
- Packaging identification label
In case of quasi-drug products, it differs from cosmetics that that have to be clearly stated about the ingredient stating method and that it is a quasi-drug product but main contents are the same. For OEM cosmetic products, our company will be providing suitable support regarding labeling method.
- Q5.Why do cosmetics label all contained ingredients?
- The Pharmaceutical Affairs Law was revised in 2001. Following the new law, not only the ingredient that were listed to be required of labeling but all contained ingredients are required to be labeled.
Since this law was set, companies are required to work even harder on are needed for the safety of their products. Furthermore, labeling all contained ingredients have an important role as reference information for customers to select products and use them. Ingredients are stated in the decreasing order of the formulated amount. However, ingredients’ that are formulated for less than 1% can be listed in not particular order.
- Q6.What kind of size and material container are available?
- Containers for cosmetic products runs an important role on preserving product condition until it’s used up so that people can feel safe about using it till the end.
Shapes of cosmetic containers are classified mainly into the following according to the way of use and content. Bottle container for liquid such as toner and milky lotion, Jar container and tube for paste consistency cream and gel, mascara container with wand attached, powder container for powder substance such as powder foundation, compact container for foundation, feeding container for lip sticks, pencil container for eye liner, pump container for shampoo and conditioner, aerosol container for, for example, hair styling products. There are a lot of different types.
For materials, there are plastic containers using materials such as PE (polyethylene), PP (polypropylene), PET (polyethylene-telephthalate), glass container such as soda-lime-silica glass and borosilicate glass, and metal container such as aerosol can are used.
In case of OEM cosmetics, our company will propose container that best suits your product according to your formulation.
- Q7.Why are preservatives necessary?
- The purpose of formulating preservatives is to prevent product being deteriorate in its quality, scent, and growing mold which are possible influence caused by microbe accidently contaminated through the whole process of cosmetic manufactured in a factory, delivered to customers’ hand, and till the product is used up. The stability of cosmetcis are stated in “Law regarding securing the quality, effectiveness, and safety of medicine and medical equipments” (shorten as Law of medicine and medical equipment, Previous: the Pharmaceutical Affairs Law). “After manufacturing or exporting, products’ characteristics and quality have to be stable for more than three years under correct storage condition. And for products that have the possibility that the product quality will change, those have to label the expiration date of use”. Preservatives are contained in order to meet this law and to sustain product safety.
Common preservatives used in cosmetics are paraben. There are several types of pearaben such as methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben. They are formulated according to the purpose (to protect water soluble component or oil soluble component) and base material (for example, whether it is a toner or a cream). These parebens are reliable preservatives that have been used in cosmetics for a long time. Recently there are cosmetics that are created under concept of pareben free these days.
In case of formulating paraben free products, we achieve the safety and stability of our cosmetics by manufacturing in c clean space with less bacteria and using other alternative stabilizer that supplement antimicrobial activity. For OEM cosmetics, we will propose suitable solution for the formulation.
- Q8.What are Additive-free Cosmetics?
- Additive-free cosmetics are cosmetics that does not contain certain types of additives. The current conditions is that additive-free cosmetics are created under each company’s own standard because there are no concrete standard for these products. For example, cosmetic “A” which don’t contain artificial coloring and cosmetic “B” which doesn’t contain preservatives, both can be called as “additive-free cosmetics”. Cosmetec Japan offer support for creating your additive-free cosmetic product according to our customer’s needs.
- Q9.What is organic cosmetics?
- Organic cosmetics are “cosmetics made mainly by formulating with nature-derived ingredients without using any or use only a minuscule amount of chemical ingredients” Organic cosmetics are winning strong popularity for its impression that they are natural as it can be. The standards for organic cosmetics differs from area to area but France, Germany, and Australia monitor this standard in the national level. Therefore, it is extremely difficult to call skin care products as organic. However, there are no such concrete legal standard to acknowledge organic products in Japan so products are created under control of standards set by each company in this current condition. Us Cosmetec Japan offers support by considering your desire for example. We can developing substrate that are nature-derived as much as possible or proposing product concepts formulating plans that are approved as organic.
- Q10.What are the differences between ultraviolet absorber and ultraviolet scattering agent?
- Ultraviolent absorber prevents ultraviolet to penetrate to skin by absorbing ultraviolet in a scientific system and transform them into energy such as heat or infrared light. Because of this absorbent's characteristic of being translucent, it is not likely to set white on skin. However, it can cause irritation for some people.
Ultraviolet scattering agent prevent ultraviolet to enter skin by literally scattering and reflecting ultraviolet in a physical system. Ultraviolet scattering agent mainly contains white inorganic powder such as titanium oxide, zinc oxide. Sun screen that uses ultraviolet scattering agent used to have a tendency of setting white on top of skin which made makeup look heavy. However today, sunscreen that doesn’t set white on skin have been developed using finely grind ultraviolet scattering agent. For OEM cosmetics, our company will suggest UV formulation that suits the concept of your product.
- Q11.What are the differences between SPF and PA？
- There are two types of ultraviolet ray that reaches the surface of the earth, “UV-B” that have short wavelength, and “UV-A” that have long wavelength. UV-B cause inflammation like getting burned and make skin darker after few days. UV-A have a effect of making skin darker right after skin being exposed to sun light, and it reaches up into dermic layer of skin which deprive skin of plumpness and cause discoloration, wrinkles, and flabbiness.
“SPF” and “PA” that are shown stated on the sunscreen products are the guidelines that shows the level of capability on preventing two ultraviolet rays UV-B and UV-A.
SPF is shorten for “Sun Protecting Factor” and it is the number that shows the effect on preventing UV-B which cause sun burn (skin becomes red from sun burn). For example, sun screen that has SPF30 in it means that it can prevent skin getting red for 30 times more hours in the sun than when applying nothing, The more higher number means that it has more protection from UV-B, and when the SPF ability of protection is higher than 50, it is stated “SPF50+”. PA is shorten for “Protection Grade of UV-A” and it shows the preventing ability for UV-A which cause sun tan (sunburn that darken skin). The capability used to be evaluated in 3 levels of “PA+ (effective)”, “PA++ (very effective)”, “PA+++ (extremely effective)”, however, Japan Cosmetic Industry Association created and settled a standard on January,2013 which evaluate PA level adding “PA++++ (tremendously effective)”.
The more + it has, the more UV-A preventing effect it contains. There are people who have an impression that ultraviolet protection is needed only during the summer. However, the amount of UV-A does not have a dramatic change over seasons and it has a characteristics of passing through clouds and windows. Therefore, ultraviolet protection is necessary through out the year even on a cloudy day and inside the house on a sunny day. Our company will be happy to propose the suitable OEM cosmetic product for you.
- Q12.What is carry over?
- Carry over are ingredients that are “slightly contained in raw materials that does not perform any effect when formulating cosmetics” for the purpose of stabilizing antioxidant and preservative formulated to stabilize raw material when extracting ingredients from them. These ingredients are not legally obliged to label as ingredients.
For example, when formulating plant extracts, depending on the extract, they may contain very small quantity of paraben for preservation purpose that was applied when it was still raw material. It was not formulated as one of the cosmetic ingredients during the manufacturing process, however, a paraben are slightly contained by formulating those extracts. These ingredients are called carry over ingredients.